Pea and Saint Agur Blue cheese croquettes by Raymond Blanc
This is a delicious canapé to wow your guests at your next dinner party. The hint of cumin adds a little spice and warmth to the mixture and the Saint Agur blue cheese brings richness and slight acidity for a lovely balance.
Recipe © Raymond Blanc / Photograph © Chris Terry
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 8 minutes
Serves: 30 croquettes (approximately)
- SPECIAL EQUIPMENT: Food processor, blender, deep fat fryer
- FOR THE CROQUETTES:
- 220g frozen peas, defrosted
- 80ml water
- 55g gram flour (chickpea flour)
- 10ml olive oil
- 2g cumin
- 4g sea salt
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- 100g frozen peas, defrosted, roughly chopped in a food processor
- 100g broad beans, roughly chopped in a food processor
- 3g fresh mint, chopped
- 100g Saint Agur blue cheese, crumbled
- FOR THE BREADCRUMB COATING:
- 50g plain flour
- 2 eggs, medium, organic/free-range, beaten
- 50g panko breadcrumbs
- FOR THE SAINT AGUR PUREE:
- 100g Saint Agur blue cheese crème
- 25g crème fraîche
- 1tsp lemon juice
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- FOR THE CROQUETTES: Blend the peas and water together in a blender until smooth. Add the gram flour, olive oil, cumin, salt and lemon juice and blend until smooth. Once cooled, remove the mixture from the fridge. Remove the cling film, cut and divide the mixture into 20g pieces. Shape into small patties and leave to chill in the fridge while you prepare for the next step. Place the mixture in a heavy-based saucepan, on a medium heat, and cook for 2-3 minutes until it begins to thicken. Now mix in the chopped peas, chopped broad beans, mint and crumbled Saint Agur blue cheese. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Place the mixture onto a piece of cling film and roll into a long sausage shape, approximately 3cm in diameter. Wrap the cling film around the mixture 3 times so that it holds its shape. Tie a knot in the cling film at each end to ensure it is wrapped tightly. Leave to cool in the fridge for 1 hour until fully set.
- FOR THE BREADCRUMB COATING: Place the flour, beaten egg and breadcrumbs into separate bowls. First, roll each croquette in the flour and dust off any excess. Then, dip each croquette in the beaten egg (no more than 5 at a time), followed by rolling each in the breadcrumbs. With clean hands, re-shape the croquettes if required and place them onto a clean tray lined with grease proof paper. Place the tray in the fridge until required (*1).
- FOR THE SAINT AGUR PUREE: In a medium bowl, mix all the purée ingredients together. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Reserve in the fridge until required.
- TO COOK THE CROQUETTES: Pre-heat your fryer to 180°C. Cook the croquettes in batches of 10 (adjust batch size depending on the size of your fryer) for 1 minute until golden brown on the outside and hot in the middle.
- TO SERVE: Serve the croquettes immediately, topped with the Saint Agur purée.
- RAYMOND'S NOTE (*): (*1) Alternatively, if you wish to cook the croquettes at a later date, you can place them in a freezer bag and store them in the freezer for up to 1 month. They can then be cooked in the fryer from frozen: You will need to cook them for 2-3 minutes until hot in the middle.