Hot-smoked salmon, beetroot salad and Saint Agur blue cheese dressing
This is a simple dish that combines different textures with big, bold flavours. The earthiness of the beetroots and smokiness of the salmon is elevated by the Saint Agur blue cheese dressing. Rich and delicious, this is a real crowd pleaser.
Recipe © Raymond Blanc / Photograph © Chris Terry
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: NA minutes
- FOR THE BEETROOT SALAD:
- 480g mixed small beetroots, cooked, peeled and cut into small pieces
- ½ shallot, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar (aged at least 8 years)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 pinches sea salt
- 2 pinches black pepper, freshly ground
- FOR THE SAINT AGUR BLUE CHEESE DRESSING:
- 100g Saint Agur blue cheese, crumbled
- 100ml crème fraîche
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 squeeze lemon juice
- 2 tbsp water
- TO SERVE:
- 120g hot-smoked salmon
- ¼ bunch dill sprigs
- peppery salad leaves such as watercress, rocket or mustard (optional)
- FOR THE BEETROOT SALAD: In a large bowl, mix the cooked, peeled beetroots with the remaining beetroot salad ingredients. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- FOR THE SAINT AGUR BLUE CHEESE DRESSING: In a medium bowl, whisk all the dressing ingredients together until evenly combined. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- TO SERVE: Divide the beetroot salad amongst four individual bowls or plates. Break the salmon into generous flakes and scatter over each plate. Spoon the Saint Agur dressing over and around the salads and garnish with dill. You can also add the peppery salad leaves to finish.