Red onion and Saint Agur blue cheese pie
Bring a little something more to your classic onion pie by adding some delicious Saint Agur blue cheese.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 60 minutes
Serves: 4 to 6
- 135g Saint Agur
- 4 big red onions
- 30g (for the pan) + 10g (for the tin) butter
- 5 cl olive oil
- 20g brown sugar
- 250g flour
- 125g butter
- 10g curcuma
- 5g salt
- 8-10cl cold water
- 15g sesame seeds
- Preparation of the pastry: Mix the curcuma with flour, salt, sesame seeds and butter in pieces. Add the cold water, little by little, while mixing to get a homogeneous pastry. Create a pastry ball and wrap it into cling film. Let it rest in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Preparation of the topping: Peel and slice the onions. In a big pan, melt the butter with the olive oil and add the sliced onions. Add salt and pepper and cook for 10-15 minutes on medium heat. Sprinkle the sugar in top of the onions and continue to cook for 10-15 min until the onions become slightly caramelise. Set aside to cool.
- Take the pastry outside of the fridge and roll it out.
- Preheat the oven at 180C, thermostat 6.
- Butter the mould (22/25 cm diameter). Roll out the pastry in 2-3 mm thickness, then use 2/3 of the pastry to line the tin. Be careful that the pastry sticks to the sides of the mould.
- Fill the tart case with the onions mixture. Scatter the blue cheese in small pieces on top of the onions. Cut the remaining pastry into strips of 1 cm wide. Arrange the strips on top of the pie, crossing them to create a grid.
- Cook the pie for 30 to 35 min in the oven. Once out, leave it to cool for 15 minutes before serving.