Saint Agur crème, oat biscuit and honey
If you are entertaining friends and want to impress, this is a simple canapé that can be prepared in advance for a fuss-free, homemade treat to serve with a glass of champagne. For ease, the biscuit dough can be pre-prepared, then cut and stored in the freezer ready for you to bake ahead of your party. The dried olives can also be made a few days in advance and stored in an airtight container.
Recipe © Raymond Blanc / Photograph © Chris Terry
Preparation Time: 15 (plus 1 hour resting time) minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Serves: 50 canapés
- SPECIAL EQUIPMENT: Electric whisk, piping bag (optional)
- FOR THE BISCUIT:
- 65g wholemeal flour
- 90g butter, unsalted
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 30g caster sugar
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 60g jumbo oats
- 1 egg yolk, medium, organic/free-range, beaten
- FOR THE TOPPING:
- 325g Saint Agur blue cheese crème, whipped to stiff peaks with an electric whisk
- 25g clear honey
- 50g Kalamata olives, pitted, chopped finely, dried at 100°C for 1 hour
- FOR THE BISCUIT: Pre-heat the oven to 180°C. In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, butter, bicarbonate of soda, sugar and salt. With your fingertips, crumble the ingredients together to create a breadcrumb texture. Add the oats and egg yolk and mix together well. Roll the biscuit mixture between two sheets of parchment paper to a thickness of 5mm, then place the rolled biscuit dough in the fridge for 1 hour to allow the dough to firm up. After 1 hour, remove the dough from the fridge and cut into squares approximately 3cm x 3cm in size. At this point you may freeze the dough squares and cook straight from frozen when you are ready. Or to cook straight away, place these squares onto a large baking tray lined with greaseproof paper and bake in the pre-heated oven for 12-15 minutes. Remove the biscuits from the oven and place on a wire cake rack until cool. Store in an airtight container until required (for up to 3 days).
- FOR THE TOPPING: Place the biscuits on a flat tray and pipe approximately 6g of the whipped Saint Agur crème in the centre of each biscuit in a neat teardrop shape. If you do not have a piping bag, you can use a spoon instead. Drizzle the clear honey over each canapé in a zig-zag fashion and sprinkle a small amount of the dried olives over the top then serve.